Sunday, March 04, 2007

Kettlestack Adjustable Kettlebell

Those who know me know I'm a bit of a strength and conditioning nut. I have a garage and a gym full of all sorts of fitness and exercise equipment. I've used it all, as well. The one thing I've always wanted to try but never really could is the kettlebell.

There's been a lot of publicity about kettlebells all over the net in the past few years about kettlebells and I've been intrigued. However, shipping is a killer, along with the price per unit and the fact you have to buy separate ones for different loads.

Enter the Kettlestack. I first discovered the Kettlestack when someone asked about them on the MMA.TV forum. I found the company selling the devices on Ebay. I was desperate to try working with a kettlebell, so I ordered one.

The total, including shipping to Australia, was under US$65. When the unit arrived, the package had been significantly damaged and a bolt and an allen key had fallen out (More on that later). Nonetheless, I could set it up in the single bolt configuration.

I began working out with twelve kilograms (25lb) on the device and used the exercises from Pavel Tsatsouline's book. Meanwhile, I reported the missing parts to the guys at Kettlestack, who offered to send the replacement gear at their cost. However, I had decided I wanted another one by now. I ordered on through the Kettlestack website and sent an email to the guys, who sent the new one with a couple of extra bolts and keys.

Now, I'm using the units with sixteen kilograms (34lb) and have tried twenty for some exercises on occassion. Not that this is the point of this article.

The Kettlebell is a hard, high density plastic handle with two spring steel stays for weight attachment. I believe the two stays are actually one piece of steel. The device comes with two allen keyed bolts and an axle of sorts. The weights sit between the stays and some can be bolted to the outside of the stays, as well. Weights of up to and above forty kilograms (88lb) are aparently possible.

At first, you may not think the spring steel stays will hold much weigh, but the device will surprise you.

I've heard that adjustable devices don't quite have the same mechanical function as a conventional kettlebell. I have no frame of reference for that, but I do like the Kettlestack a lot and I've enjoyed working with them. The Kettlestack is now a big part of my weekly routine.

Kettlestack Website

No comments:

Google